Thursday, September 14, 2017

1966 Shasta 1500 'Free'



1966 Shasta 1500 'Free'
orig. watercolor 8x10in (archivally matted to fit 11x14in frame)

This 1966 Shasta 1500 'Free' is my feature camper today. I love its patriotic set up! It's proud owner shares her love for her country and lovingly decorated this little Shasta in Stars and Stripes.
Growing up in Germany, there was very little display of national pride as in flags or banners or such (except for soccer events and other global sports competitions where the Germans won). I think after WW2 the whole national pride thing got ushered out the door and instead of flags and banners, people measured their pride in accomplishments.

When we arrived first here in Canada in 2000, I have to admit that I felt almost a sense of bewilderment when I saw all the flags proudly flying at every street corner and many homes. I have come to appreciate it over the years. The flag is an outward sign that unites a people, even if they don't agree on much else besides. A love for their country and a sense of a kind of nationwide brotherhood is best displayed every year during July 1st, the national holiday.

'Flying their colors'

I see the same with my US friends. We live close to the US border and even more than the Canadians, the US residents love to share their love for their country in flying their colors.
By now, I am a bit saddened when I don't see the flags in Germany when we visit. But I understand. And being humble has not often been a bad trait. Germans as far as I can say, as a people, are not wired that way, haha. Their open-ness often comes across as frank and direct and you have no idea how often I have stepped in a pot of grease by just talking out loud- especially here with the polite Canadians! Yup, still learning that 'silence is golden'- maybe I should just get myself a flag instead, haha)
Thanks for journeying with me, I will be here again tomorrow with another camper, so stop on by anytime;-) Until then,
Happy Trails! Simone

No comments:

Post a Comment