Sunday, September 10, 2017

Snowy 1959 Pink Aljo

Snowy 1959 Pink Aljoorig. watercolor 8x10in (matted size: 11x14in)
purchase info here

Isn't she darling? Today's Snowy 1959 Pink Aljo looks like a girly, sweet candy.
I am amazed yet again about the wonderful selection of photo submissions that arrive in my submissions inbox! It makes me smile to open one after another and paint along every day- pure bliss!

This one was special and I was excited as the subtle pastel colors throughout are not my usual fare. Bold didn't do it today! So I took my time again and slowly inched my way into this painting by carefully laying down one wash over another. I was careful not to overwork as well. I am happy with the result and think I've become a better painting because of this painting! It's the little things I guess. I have painted a few Aljos over the years but never a pink one.

Here is some extra info on the name and its history from its founder/owner C.T. McCreary or “Mac”(interview from: wiki tin can tourists)

"The name Aljoa derived from a name of a friend's boat “Al-jo” changing it to Aljo, and when he setup in California someone told him to add an “a” on the end to make it more “Californian”. He did have to drop the “a” from the end in about 1950 when Alcoa saw that he was advertising an all aluminum trailer and the name infringed on theirs. His trailers were on the set of the Red Skelton Show and he had a feature on his company on a TV show called “Success Story” showing how the small guy can make it in different businesses."

Thanks again for stopping by and I'm wishing you a wonderful Sunday! Will be here again tomorrow with a new campie. What will it be???

No comments:

Post a Comment