Friday, June 19, 2020

Day 3 Kira Residency

Today was my third day at KIRA (Kingsbrae International Residency for the Arts). It was another glorious summer day.

Yesterday I started an 11x14in canvas of the lower pond with a cream coloured rhododendron in full bloom and patches of lupins blooming. I was smitten by the dappled shade and the backlit birch trees.
The canvas texture was pretty rough, so I struggled to achive a soft, faery-like feel. I gave up yesterday due to red ants, struggles with the canvas texture and the light changing. I didn't want to give up so easily! This morning first thing I trecked down to the pond again- yesterday's canvas in tow and gave it another try. I was amazed how much smoother it went today. I moved the easel, so there were hardly any ants, I stood up to so to easier move back and forth from the canvas and I arrived earlier then I did in my first session, so I had extra time to observe values, shade and light.

Here is where the it stands with the lower pond painting. Not quite done, but the overall done. I might simplify a few shapes, tweak some edges and adjust a few value bits (tomorrow, haha).
simone ritter art 2020 plein air oil painting lupins pond kingsbrae kira
Dappled Light by the Pond, 11x14in, oil on canvas

As my daily flower portrait I had something different in mind, but couldn't resist to pitch my easel when I saw these dandelion seed heads (is this even the right word for them?).

Anyhow, here it is.


simone ritter art 2020 kingsbrae kira covid residency plein air dandelion oil painting 6x6in
6x6in, oil plein air, dandelion seed heads
Behind the scenes:
I was so frustrated with this rough textured canvas that I decided to prime my other canvasses with oil ground in the hopes of yielding a smooth(er) surface.
This afternoon I prepped these panels with Gamblin oil ground. I put on a first layer, now I'll let them dry and put on a second layer tomorrow. They will have to cure a full week after that! Glad I read the instruction label so to plan for the curing time! Yey me (it's the little things;)
Also, I toned the large canvas a bright red.

preparing canvasses outside my studio
All in all, that was my day. Productive- behind the scenes mostly... but pleased to be chopping away on preparatory chores.

Until tomorrow again! Thanks for stopping by!



Simone


No comments:

Post a Comment